Thursday, February 11, 2010

Now you know Why I Run

Welcome to my running blog. This blog isn’t for everyone. Strictly for the running junkies or those looking to get started with their first 5k, 10k, half-marathon, or marathon.

It been six year’s since I laced up my tight nike cross trainer’s and went out an attempted to run the LA Marathon. A memory I tried to forget as soon as the race was over but the 9 purple toenails, and bruised ego just would not allow me to forget. It was that day that not only challenged me mentally and physically but it made me realize you don’t become a runner overnight. I read books, articles, consulted with other runners, anything to learn more and more about how to become a better runner but there was only one real solution. Lace up the shoes and run and that’s what I did.

From March 2004 to date I’ve completed at least 80 running events from 5k to marathon with a streak of six LA marathons in a row and I’m planning on making it seven in a row this March. What keeps me going? It’s the thrill of the running events that I love as well as the competition and the camaraderie you have with the running community. I run to inspire and to be inspired but the LA marathon and I have a personal bond that few know of. In 2004, my dad was in his 3rd year of battling colon cancer and I watched him battle day in and day out. I wanted to do something to show him I’d continue to battle with him. I told him I was running the marathon to lift his spirits. Why I chose the marathon, I have no idea because I’d never run more than 3 miles in my lifetime but it was a promise and I went out there and boy was it a battle. March 7, 2004 was the hardest day I’d ever had. In close to 90-degree heat, I battled for the entire 26.2 miles, 385 yards. Cramps, blisters, heat rash, dehydration tested me all throughout the marathon but I kept thinking, if my dad had to battle his cancer on a daily basis, I could suffer through the pain for one day and I did.

That was one of the hardest physical challenges I’d ever faced and I finished one minute shy of six hours but I never got the chance to share the accomplishment with my dad. He passed away the next morning. Running for me took on a whole new meaning. The LA marathon became my focus each year. As long as I can walk, I will be at the starting line regardless of my health.

My goal is to complete every LA marathon until I cannot run or walk anymore and along the way, I’m always looking to push, and pull anyone I can to join me because I learned back in 2004, that life is too short and if I can lace the shoes up, I’ll be out there.

The Road to completing LA Marathon number seven has begun. This blog is strictly about running. I’ll discuss everything from shoes, the best races, great places to run and more.

Get your shoes ready because here we go.

S

No comments:

Post a Comment