Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Excuses are for the Birds

“I can’t”! A word I hate the most, yet it’s probably the word I hear the most from most people when I try to get them to run a 5 or 10k running event. Listen up people. A 5k is 3.1 miles. You mention 5k to some people and they act like the world is coming to an end. I always tell people anyone, at any age, any weight, can complete a running event of 3 miles or 26 miles. It’s all comes down to commitment and desire to do something different and push yourself to prove you can do something outside your comfort zone.

I don’t expect everyone to have the same desire and passion that I do about running and that’s ok. That comes with time but what I refuse to accept is defeat before even trying. So many dismiss even trying. Let me just say this; at the age of 73, Ed Whitlock ran the Toronto marathon in 2 hours, 54 minutes and 48 seconds. Let me point out he’s 73 and no he’s isn’t walking, he’s running a time that most fifty years younger than him will never achieve. So there are no excuses to why someone in there 20’s, 30’s, or 40’s for that matter could not walk or jog a 3.1-mile race. The overall goal is to cross the finish line no matter what the time.

My advice to all new runner’s is just go out and run for a few minutes. Maybe your first day all you can manage is five minutes. That’s ok. The fact that you’re out there trying is the overall point. The next time you may be able to run for nine minutes. Before you know it, you’ll be able to complete a mile, then two, and then three. No one will be prouder of you than you. But don’t give up before you start.

Summer will be here soon. So if you’re looking to walk or run off those extra pounds you put on during the last few month, look for an event that catches your eye.
One of my favorite sites is raceplace.com
Check it out on your own time. www.raceplace.com

Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment