Saturday, February 20, 2010

29 days...no need to worry!

When I said this is the road to my running my 7th consecutive LA marathon, I truly meant it. Each time I’ve run the race it’s has been a challenge more so leading up to the race than the race itself. Some year’s it’s has been injury, other times it has been a lack of training but whatever the reason, it makes completing the race even sweeter.

We’re 29 days away from the marathon and I’ve spent the last 2 weeks as sick as I’ve ever been so needless to say, all training and endurance built up has just gone right out the window but I’m not worried, just a little upset at the timing but I guess I should be happy. In 07, I mysteriously caught the flu the week of the marathon and ignoring any advisement and my body, I refused to dismiss the idea that I wouldn’t be able to run the marathon. I took everything cold medication possible to help me get better but still felt like I was run over by a train the day before the race. I could barely see straight but my plan was to go to the race, and join the ban of old ladies who take their sweet time and walk the entire race but when I got down to the race that morning, I ran into my friend Tendo who was running his first marathon, then I ran into another friend and before I knew it, I was damn near the start line of the race.

When the gun went off, it was as if I got a shot of adrenaline. I forgot about being sick and just ran. I ran the entire race with a rosary in my hand that I bought in Brazil. Something told me to carry it in my pocket during the race but I took it out before the race and carried it the whole way. I made it to mile 19 before my body decided it had enough. I struggled to the finished and was just thrilled to be alive after the race.

I’m not expecting to have that sort of experience this time around but today was my first run in over 3 weeks and it felt good. I only managed 36 minutes but when coming back from a long layoff from any activity pushing hard too early, only leads to injury or in my case back in the sick zone. One would think that with only 29 days left till race time, I’d be pushing my luck but I beg to differ. I have a lot of ground to make up but I know that I’ll be ready March 21st.

Running Makes the word go round!

No comments:

Post a Comment