Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mind Over Sore Feet!

Hello Runner’s. Today’s blog topic is about what it takes to get through the marathon. I’d say this would be for the novice runner’s but some veteran runner’s may find it helpful too. So all you runners attempting to run your first marathon, listen up.

All veteran marathon runners know that in order to be successful at the 26.2 mile distance, there takes a certain amount of training and commitment throughout the year. They also know that no matter how much training you’ve put in, you must still be up for the mental challenge the race poses. Training runs are just that, training. You have to be prepared for things that may pop up during the race. I’ve often heard someone say, I’ve never had a problem cramping during my training runs, or I’ve never had a blister before. In a marathon, the smallest thing can begin to wear on your mind.

I remember having a cramp in my leg during one of the marathons at mile 6. Surprised and angered, I started thinking about the remaining twenty miles. I began to think, how could I run twenty more miles if my legs are already cramping at mile six. I began to doubt my training, my abilities and the possibility of even getting through the race but I took some time, walked a bit, gained my composure, listened to a few songs on my ipod, then started running again. Before long, I worried less and less about cramping and focused on the task at hand. I must admit. It takes having gone through a few marathons to know what to expect and how to get through those obstacles but first time marathoners can take something away from this blog or at least I hope they do.

In a marathon, the real race starts at mile 18. If you’ve made it this far, then your legs and other body parts have started to let you know that they’re not too happy with you. It’s your job to convince your body and mind that this is no time to stop. Stopping is not an option. Once you do, you may give in. Talk to yourself. Stay positive no matter what. There’s always talk about hitting the wall but your focus is running through a wall, a building or anything else that comes your way. We each have some tactic we use to get through the tough and gritty miles. Some think of themselves as powerful animals, while some repeat motivational mantras to themselves. I always dreamed of joining the marines or navy seals. I never did but during the marathon, I’ve sometimes imagined I was a soldier and the marathon was my battle field and I had one mission and that was make it to the finish line. Giving up was not an option. So during the race, I remember calling out cadence in my mind, and all the thousands of runners out there, were fallowing my lead. Stop and they all lose faith, keep going and everyone makes it home safe. Intense as it may sound, sometimes that’s what it takes.

Running through pain is not an easy thing to do but this is where you must dig deep. Keep your feet moving and use whatever you can do to distract your mind from the pain you may experience.

Nothing you hear, or read can paint the perfect picture of what happens out there during the marathon. It’s an experience each first time marathoner has to go through but you wouldn’t have signed up if you didn’t believe that you could do it. Know that you’ll be amongst thousands of other runners, all pushing towards one goal, which is finishing the race.

Time to get tough!

No comments:

Post a Comment